Monday, January 23, 2012

Healthy?

Once again, all of you that support me on Facebook have inspired me to write about something that I never, ever, I repeat, EVER thought I would talk about again - especially in an open forum such as this.  So, I am going to do this very carefully. =)

I have seen so many posts lately about people wanting to loose weight and get fit - it is so inspiring! However, I have also seen so many posts lately about people who are doing this in such an unhealthy way.  

The 'thinspiration' boards on Pinterest are sometimes really disturbing. Woah. 

I am in no way shape form or fashion an expert on weight loss or exercise, but I do know unhealthy when I see it.  

I see diet pills.  I see eating disorders.  I see self-hatred. 

Believe me, guys, I've been there.  I KNOW how hard it is to not give in to those unhealthy things because they seem like the 'easy way'.  I know how badly you want to be 'skinny' and 'normal'.  

I know what compulsive over-eating is.  I know what emotional eating is.  I know what bulimia is.  I have been there - I never want to go back, and I never want to see any of you go there.  It is a painful, horrible roller-coaster of a life.  It hurts your body, your mind, your emotional health, your relationships - it ruins you. It is not worth it.  

My relationship with food is a very, VERY, special balance - it has taken me a long time to get here.  Nothing changes over night. 

Exercise forces your to respect your body and what it can do.  Exercise shows you what you are capable of. If you want to love yourself through this process, you MUST exercise.  I used to think I didn't have to.  I was wrong. 

So, to answer many questions: No, I do not take diet pills.  No, I do not go hungry.  No, I do not have the issues I had 6 years ago. Yes, I work my ass off. 

Be okay with slow and steady.  Listen to your body.  Embrace yourself.  Most importantly, be HAPPY! 

I am now stepping down from my pulpit. 

I love you guys. <3




No comments:

Post a Comment