Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Baked Strawberry Oatmeal

Today, I made a wonderful baked oatmeal for breakfast!  My toddler ate two bowl fulls, which makes me super happy because this is a really healthy dish.  I have been really trying to incorporate healthier foods into our every day lives, like steel-cut oats!
Steel Cut Oats look so different from regular oatmeal! 
I got the original recipe from a Fresh Market flyer last Christmas - I saved the recipe because it looked so yummy to me, but this is the first time I've actually made it.  Surprisingly, I had everything I needed on hand in my pantry! You can find an online version of the original recipe here.

I recently decided to switch to Agave nectar instead of added sugar in our everyday foods.  SO, I changed this recipe to incorporate that.



I also halved the recipe because I don't need 6-8 servings of anything! My version was delicious and made 4 perfect size servings.  Here it is:
Baked Strawberry Oatmeal1 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup steel-cut oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup Soy Milk (low fat dairy milk would work, too)
1 egg white, beaten
2 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp agave nectar
1/2 tbsp molasses
1 cup frozen strawberries
For Garnish: Warm Strawberry Jam, Plain Greek Yogurt
Method:
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients, except the strawberries.  Add the wet to the dry and mix, with a big spoon, until combined.  Pour mixture in a greased baking dish, and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Stir mixture and add in the berries.  Bake for 20 minutes more, or until golden brown on top.  I served this with a big dollop of Greek yogurt and a drizzle of warm strawberry jam.  YUMMY!

This breakfast was SO filling and satisfying.  I hope you guys try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment