Thursday, October 13, 2011

Caprese Salad

One of my most favorite things in the whole, entire world is a caprese salad made with fresh tomatoes.

I could eat it forever, without stopping.

The Pioneer Woman, Ree, has a wonderful tutorial here on how to make a classic caprese. 
Whenever I eat this, it feels like summer.  The only thing that could make it better is a pretty glass full of fruity sangria, but that's another post. ;-)

As I mentioned earlier this week, my wonderful husband stopped and got us some fresh tomatoes from Chilton county last week on his way home from Alabama.  Chilton County tomatoes are THE BEST.

Jimmy Durbin Sunshine Farms Tomatoes - THE. BEST. EVER. 
Seriously, if you are ever on Interstate 65, just south of Birmingham, you must stop in Clanton and get some of these.  Please do it.  Get some peaches, too - you won't regret it.

Anywho, today I was rummaging around in the kitchen trying to drum up something for lunch.  I have no bread, no wraps, no leftovers ... I was in a bind.  I saw the mozzarella, and it hit me - CAPRESE!

I didn't have fresh basil, but I always have dried, so I just used that.  It wasn't as magical, but it still made me pretty happy. =)

On the WeightWatchers scale, this salad is pretty light.  1 ounce of whole milk mozzarella, 1 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp. of olive oil, 1 tomato, basil = 4 points+.   Along with my salad, I had a couple boiled eggs and a green salad.

A yummy, energizing, healthy lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment